What documentation do I need to travel with my pet?

The required documentation will vary depending on the origin and destination of your flight. On the day of travel, please note what you must present at the airport counter: 

  • Copy of your pet's vaccination card.
  • Certificate of health inspection issued by a veterinarian, indicating the professional registration number. The time of validity of this document depends on the country.
  • Transport of pets in the hold and cabin form completed and printed 

If your dog is an emotional support or service dog, you must also submit:

Emotional support dog Service dog

You must have a document that is no older than one year from the date of the flight certifying the breed of the dog and that you require the dog for emotional support (except for flights to and from the United States). This documentation must be on letterhead and signed by a mental health professional or your treating physician and certify that:

  • You have a recognized emotional, psychiatric or mental disability and need the dog to accompany you during the flight.
  • The company of your dog is necessary during your flight or for the activities you are going to develop at your destination.
  • The treating physician or mental health professional must have a valid license, specifying the date, type, and place where it was issued.

Remember to show up at the airport counter 3 hours before for international flights and 2 hours for domestic flights.

Additional documentation is required depending on your origin or destination. 

Flights to Colombia
  • You must have an original health certificate showing that your pet is fit to be transported. It must be valid for no more than 10 calendar days and must state that your pet is free of infectious, contagious and parasitic diseases. Likewise, it must be mentioned that there are no fresh or healing wounds. Also, you must specify the species, identification, breed, sex, age, and coat of the animal, the vaccination plan and the vaccination certificate issued by a veterinarian indicating his professional registration number.
  • Pets coming from the United States, flying to Colombia, must have a health certificate stamped and signed by Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service USDA - APHIS, the official U.S. Animal Health agency.
  • If your flight is from Spain, you will have to present the Export Certificate from the Kingdom of Spain for any type of pet. This document will be required upon arrival in Colombia.
Flights from/to the United States
  • You must present the U.S. Department of Transportation Service Animal Air Transportation Form and United States Department of Transportation Service Animal Relief Attestation Form at the counters or boarding gate as a requirement for acceptance.
  • To enter the U.S. with your dog, you must meet a list of requirements, be part of the exception group, apply for and obtain an advance import permit from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) by sending an email to CDCanimalimports@cdc.gov at least 30 business days before the date of entry. Applications must be submitted by the owner or importer of the dog. If you do not comply with this requirement and arrive without written approval from the CDC issued in advance, your dog will be denied entry, returned to the country of origin, and you will be responsible for any costs incurred.
  • You can download the import permit application.  Additionally, you will need to provide a valid rabies certificate.
Flights from/to Europe
  • For flights to Spain, the pet must have a passport (vaccination card or animal health certificate) and be identified with a microchip or tattoo. It is important to treat the pet with praziquantel at least 48 hours before the flight.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful